Eric Gill was born in Brighton in 1892 and died in London in 1940. He was an English sculptor, letter-cutter, typographic designer, calligrapher, engraver, writer and teacher. He received a traditional training at Chichester Technical and Art School where he first developed an interest in lettering. In 1900 Gill moved to London to become a pupil of William Douglas Caroe, architect to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. He was commissioned for three dimensional inscriptions in stone - the foundation stone for Caroe's St Barnabas and St James the Greater in Walthamstow, London and the lettering for the lychgate at Charles Harrison Townsend's St Mary's, Great Warley, Essex.